DBT Emotion Regulation Skills are a set of tools designed to help you manage intense emotions in a healthy and effective way. These skills can help you to identify, understand, and regulate your emotions, and make better decisions even in difficult situations.
Identify and Label:
- Identifying and labelling your emotions can help you understand them better and respond to them more effectively.
- Focusing on positive experiences can help balance negative emotions.
- Actively seeking out and savouring positive experiences can increase positive emotions.
- Building mastery in a particular skill or activity can help you feel more capable and confident, which can increase positive emotions.
- Mastering a skill can also give you a sense of accomplishment, which can help to reduce negative emotions.
- Coping ahead involves preparing for potentially difficult or triggering situations in advance, by planning ways to manage emotions or cope with the situation.
- Opposite action involves doing the opposite of what you feel like doing, in order to change your emotional state nd increase positive emotions.
- This skill can be effective when emotions are extreme and interfering with your functioning or relationships.
Check the Facts:
- Checking the facts involves taking a step back and examining the evidence for your thoughts and emotions.
- This skill can help you to challenge negative or inaccurate thoughts and regulate your emotions more effectively.
- Problem-solving involves identifying a problem and developing a plan to solve it.
- This skill can help you to feel more in control and reduce negative emotions related to a specific problem.
- Letting go involves accepting that some things are out of your control and choosing to let go of negative emotions related to the situation n order to move forward and focus on what you can control.